Enterprises wishing to participate in a BELCOO project apply for support for their part in the project through the existing support instruments in their own region. In the event of a collaboration between a Walloon, Flemish and Brussels enterprise, there will thus be a parallel submission to SPW Recherche, Agentschap Innoveren & Ondernemen (VLAIO) and Innoviris respectively. The regional financing institutions organize a central consultation on the financing of the projects, but retain a decentralized financing. Each financing institution is thus responsible for the financing of the companies from its own region.
Are you eligible?
To be selected, your proposal must:
- be aimed at developing innovative products, processes or services, with a clear market potential.
- must involve at least two enterprises from two different Belgian regions, that are equal partners in the project.
Brussels enterprises must:
- develop all or part of their activities in the Brussels-Capital Region.
- present a project that is likely to have a favourable impact on the economy, employment or sustainable development in the Brussels-Capital Region.
A BELCOO project consortium should meet the following requirements:
- The project consortium consists of at least two enterprises from two different Belgian regions.
- None of the participating enterprises has a budget that exceeds 70% of the total project budget.
- Each participating enterprise performs R&D tasks with a clear technical risk and participates in the economic results of the project (no subcontractor relationship).
- Research institutions can participate as subcontractors or research partners of the participating enterprises, but not as direct beneficiaries in Flanders and Wallonia. In Brussels they can participate as third partner. This means at least one Brussels company is present in the consortium.
Find out more about the conditions for eligibility in our regulations below.
The procedure in 3 steps
The BELCOO programme supports joint projects but the funding and evaluation is decentralised, and the competence of the regional institutions.
- You submit a joint form (see below), with the partner enterpise(s), outlining the collaboration and a draft consortium agreement.
- As a partner enterprise in the Brussels-Capital Region, you must apply for funding using the regional form supplied by Innoviris.
- Your project will be evaluated by the funding agencies of each involved partner, which will take a joint decision.
Your company must have fulfilled its obligations under previous grants awarded by the Region and must demonstrate its ability to fund its share of the project expenses.
You can review the webinar organised for the introduction of the program here.
You can find the BELCOO programme brochure below in French and Dutch.